History of Elbląg and story about the Krzaczasty (Bushy) Mill.
History of this complex is connected with Kumiela river (germ. Hommel) flowing nearby. In time of the Teutonic Order it used to take advantage of its resources so water mills were being built by its banks. One of them, situated on the edge of Bażantarnia forests (ger. Vogelsang), surrounded by shrubbery and thicket was called Strauchmühle, what means „bushy mill”.
From privileges given the city 9 years after foundation of Elblag we can conclude that bushy mill, belonged to Teutonic Knights had been just operating. In 1457, after the city had paid homage to the King of Poland Kazimierz Jagiellończyk, all neighbouring water mills were donated to the city.
Historic facts says that in the 8-th of February 1806 the bushy mill was taken out a lease for 6233 talars and 30 grosz by Gottfried August Abegg – a secret commercial counsellor and prussian consul in Sankt Petersburg – a figur of merit for former Elblag.
Originally the water mill consisted of one building made of oak (present restaurant) with river canal by the south wall and mill’s wheel. In XIX century the south part with „miller’s house” were made of brick (present hotel) and the mill’s wheel was changed for water turbine. Finally in 1908 the last annexe was errected ending present complex of water mill. It confirms a date made of sandstone on a wall. In 1816 just after Abegg died, water mill found in possesion of Friedrich David and Julius Lickfett – owners of „Handlung D. Lickfett & Co.” It is worth stressing that Friedrich David Lickfett was vice consul of Holland in Elblag. The bushy mill had belonged to them till 1881 and then it appeared the surname of Jochem family till 1945. The complex of water mill survived warfare in good condition and after the war it was taken over by Polish authorities. It was still being used as a cereal mill and a silo till the mid of the seventies.
A former resident of the mill mentioned that he was so accustomed to the noise of the mill's turbine, that when the miller shut it on Sundays, it was not possible to sleep and silence rang in his ears.
In the end of the eighties the mill deserted and in 1991 it was listed to polish register of monuments.
In 1994 the mill was completely destroyed as a result of fire. In 1996 it was purchased by Stefan Kotowski who started to reconstruct it and adapt to hotel with restaurant.
All works lasted 7 years and finally in 2003 3-stars MŁYN HOTEL was given for guest’s use.
Legend about Miller and His Wife
Napoleonic Army came to Elbląg in 1807. The Town inhabitants were forced to deliver food for the armed forces. Once a French patrol came to the Bushy Mill (now Hotel Młyn***). Soldiers ordered Miller and his Wife to serve square meals and drinks. They heard about excellent baked goods and delicious wine produced there. Miller got in panic. He realized what could happen: his empty pantries and cellars, robbed mill, empty granary on attic. But he didn`t know that he was a lucky husband. He had his prudent wife – underestimated by him before.
She started serving breads and cakes for unwelcome guests. Part of baked goods was made of spoiled flour and another one of excellent quality. Some Frenchmen frowned their disapproval and even spat but others were fully satisfied. Then Miller had quick wits at last: he served thin and tart wine for those who enjoyed their meals and the best wine for those who was complaining about their food. Tipsy and totally confused soldiers started to quarrel and fight. Finally and luckily for the Millers a quartermaster of French garrison decided not to requisition the Mill.
The mill survived as one of few such utilities in Elblag. In remembrance of these events, the successor laid the stone heads of the ingenious miller's wife and the frightened miller. Years later, they found their place at the entrance to the Stone Mill (now the Hotel Restaurant Młyn ***).
History of Hotel Mlyn Biblioteka
The building now houses the Library Mill Hotel (Hotel Młyn Biblioteka) and Aqua Spa **** originally built on the edge of the Old Town as the School of the Hanseatic League. The date of construction of the Hanseatic League School at Pocztowa Street 2 (on the edge of the Old Town) describes the inscription made with a pencil on joinery door that was found after the transfer of the building to Kościuszki Street. After translating, it reads as follows:Schikowski, journeyman carpenter made this in on June 24,1879, under the foremanship of Dieter Thiessen. After 1945. the purpose of this building has changed a number of times. It has been, among other,a primary school, and before the transfer of the building - the seat of the Pedagogical Library. Then, the library was moved to Św. Ducha Street and seemed that the abandoned building would fall into disrepair. But fortunately, in 2009 it was bought by the owner of the Hotel Młyn, whose deference to the sights is known. The Hanseatic League School was dismantled and moved to a new location with remarkable thoroughness. Approximately 75,000 pieces of bricks were acquired upon demolition together with the joinery door and dozens of massive wooden ceiling bales that were used to reconstruct an exemplary building. Today the former Hanseatic League School looks very well in its new form. You can now sleep in the rooms within the venerable walls of the school, in which you could hear the former children's guard and use the Sanus per aquam (SPA), meaning "health through water".